Saturday 6 August 2016

The Experiment Is Over

I have not really grown my hair out since high school.  Back then it was almost a requirement, after all it was the '80s. However for at least fifteen years now, I have worn my hair very short.

I have found keeping my hair short much more convenient.  There is no muss and fuss in the morning, just a quick wipe dry with the towel.  Best of all, I do not have to spend the day checking to make sure everything is still in place and adding more gunk to my hair.

At the end of May, or so, my wife decided that she wanted to see what I would look like if I grew my hair out.  She was curious to know how I would look with a ponytail, because we are Unitarians and I would fit right in.  So the experiment began.

I got a haircut in early June, prior to going home to visit my parents.  Instead of my usual buzzcut, I let the girl cut and style my hair (which included putting gunk in it). The first words my Father said to me when he picked me up at the airport were "you look shaggy".

Well, here it is two months later, and the experiment is over.  In a little over an hour, I have an appointment to get my hair cut.  About 30 minutes after that I will be shorn again.

To prove that I was actually paying attention in school, I have decided to sum this little experiment of my wife's up using the scientific method.

Hair Growth Experiment

Purpose: 
  • The purpose of this experiment is to determine the best manner for me to wear my hair.

Hypothesis: 
  • The hypothesis is that I would look better with my hair grown out in a contemporary style than I do with it cut short.

Materials: 
  • My head
  • Brush
  • Shampoo and water

Procedure:
  • Allow my hair to grow out instead of keeping it short
  • Keep my hair styled as it grows. 

Results:
  • My hair tends to grow thicker rather than longer.
  • Maintaining a hair style is a tedious process.
  • There was no advantage to my appearance by allowing my hair to grow.

Conclusion:
  • The conclusion to this experiment is that I do not necessarily look better with my hair grown out in a contemporary style than I do with it cut short.

With regard to my wife's curiosity about how I would look with a ponytail.  After two and a half months of growing my hair out, there is not enough length in the back to wear a ponytail.  However, it is thick enough and long enough on top that I could likely wear one in the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment