Wednesday 10 February 2016

How Slow Can You Go?

As I mentioned in my post, Recipe Overload, last Friday I had decided to create a database of all the recipes I have collected.  I had planned to put them all on my laptop, which I keep in the kitchen so I can look at recipes, from my blog, while I am cooking. Well, that plans has kind of been put on hold for now.

My desktop computer is around three years old.  That makes it old and almost certainly out of date. Although it still works well for what I need it for.

My laptop is getting close to 10 years old.  That makes it antique, obsolete, and a laughing stalk.  In fact it takes my laptop longer to boot up when I needed, then it takes to cook most of the recipes I look up on it.

So it should not come as a surprise that the reason my recipe database is hold is speed.  I have over 1,700 recipes that need to be entered, and while I do not mind doing the work, I do not have the patience.  I tried to start the process on Saturday, but my laptop is so slow, it took me an hour to enter three recipes.

I have considered creating the database in other ways.  I could go to Staples and buy all of the index cards that they have in stock, or I could print out each recipe and keep them in a binder.  However, I do not think they are worth the old growth forest either method would use in paper.

Besides, my handwriting is not that neat, so even I would have a hard time translating what I had written on the cards.  At four recipes a day, just from Kraft, if I printed them I would need a new ink cartridge every other week.  So for now I will keep those 430 plus e-mails tucked away in my recipes folder for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment