Sunday 5 November 2023

Guy Fawkes Night

Remember, remember, the 5th of November.


Last night (Sunday, November 5th) was Guy Fawkes night.  An annual commemoration observed primarily in Great Britain involving bonfires and fireworks displays.  It commemorates an unsuccessful attempt to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament on 5 November 1605.

Now, I do not remember, remember the 5th of November because of my English heritage.  In fact, I remember it due to an English minister.  The minister who ran our local pastoral charge and youth group when I was in high school.

Every year, the youth group would go to somebody's family farm for an evening of fun.  We had a bonfire, burned an effigy of Guy Fawkes, enjoyed homemade soup, fresh bread, and drank hot chocolate.  Memories I will have all of my life.

And that is why I remember, remember the 5th of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment