Sunday 11 December 2016

Wood

On December 24, my wife and I will celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary.  Yes we were married on Christmas Eve.  It was very romantic, and I needed a date I could easily remember, okay.

On our first anniversary, I did a foolish thing.  I opened my big mouth and said "let's buy each other traditional anniversary gifts."  I even found a website that tells us the traditional gift all the way to our sixtieth anniversary.

So this morning, I braved the elements and the other shoppers and went out in search of the perfect anniversary gift.  I think I walked up and down the mall at least five times during my quest.  At one point, the best option I had was from a salesgirl at Sears, who thought they may have some wooden cutting boards or perhaps a wooden spoon.

I tried clothing stores and accessories stores in the hopes of finding her a funky wooden necklace.  No dice, and I hate to admit the cutting board was starting to sound tempting, just so I did not go home empty handed.

I stopped into Carlton Cards.  I had been in there before and the salesgirl had shown me some cheap "kiddie-craft" wooden ornaments.  They were the kind that you punch out and paint.  Sadly, I thought they were less of a gift than the cutting board.

Then I saw it the perfect gift tucked away in the corner.  We had walked past it a couple of times when she showed me the ornaments.

It is a gift that I am satisfied with and look forward to giving.  Best of all, it is a gift that she well really like receiving.  It is way better than a cutting board too!


No comments:

Post a Comment