Monday 15 August 2016

A Long Weekend

A long weekend is suppose to be fun and enjoyable.  A long weekend usually indicates a holiday or celebration.  This weekend has been none of the above.

I am having a hard time finding words this morning.  The reality of what has happened, over the past few days, is just starting to sink in.   My family is a little smaller this morning, in fact my generation has been reduced by a third.

As I posted the other day, on Friday my eldest cousin passed away of a stage four glioblastoma.  Yesterday my second eldest cousin passed away of Guillain–Barré syndrome.  While my eldest cousin's prognosis was never good, my other cousin had been making progress over the past week or so.

Again, that feeling of uselessness seems to be bubbling up inside of me.  Not that my presence would have mattered in either case.  The best I could have done was sit vigil with the rest of the family.

However, out of the darkness a ray of light has emerged.  The remaining cousins have started reaching out to one another again.  There has been talk of a reunion in the next year.






No comments:

Post a Comment