Saturday 13 August 2016

R.I.P.

Sadly, my family is a little smaller this morning.  My cousin passed away last evening at 8:37 pm, of a stage four glioblastoma.  She was surrounded by her family, and left us quietly, peacefully, and free of pain.

I guess I am at that age now, when I have to expect to lose those around me.  In fact, I have already lost two elementary school and one high school friend.  However, my cousin is the first family member, of my generation, that I have lost.

My wife keeps asking how I am feeling.  The truth be told, I am not sure what I am feeling, although useless seems to keep popping into my head.  I think it is hard to feel much more when you are 3,477 kilometers (2160.5 miles) removed.

I always loved my cousin, and think I would call her my favorite cousin.  But I do not think I have seen her in almost 20 years, since my grandfather's funeral. We had different lives to live.

Despite that, I have some very clear and fond memories of my cousin.  I will always remember her smile, her patience, and her sense of humor.  However, most of all I will remember her as the voice of reason, which basically asked if we were insane, every time her brother and I started planning something, that one summer many...many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment