Friday 19 August 2016

Meat Sauce

Today, I am posting a recipe that was not found on Pinterest, or sent to me by Kraft. This recipe came out of an old cookbook when I was a kid, although I have changed and added so much that I doubt it barely resembles it anymore. The first time I ever wrote it down (and then it was just the ingredients) was when I e-mailed it to my brother-in-law a couple of months ago.

Spices will have to be done to taste, as I have not measured them, since I read them from that old cookbook.  BBQ sauce is an addition of my own, which I have never measured

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 kg ground beef
  • 1/2 kg ground pork
  • 1 onion - chopped
  • 1 green pepper - chopped
  • 1 yellow pepper - chopped
  • 1 red pepper -chopped
  • 3 - 4 cloves garlic - diced
  • 3 - 4 stalks of celery - chopped
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (I like italian herb & spice, if you like heat chili style is nice)
  • 1 jar pasta sauce (of your choice)
  • chili powder
  • worcestershire sauce
  • BBQ sauce
  • Italian seasoning
  • 1 tbsp salsa

  • A splash of beer, coffee, or cola whatever I have it in the house

Directions:
  • Heat olive oil in bottom of a dutch oven over medium heat.
  • Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent.
  • Stir in remaining vegetables; cook until vegetables are warmed through, but still crisp
  • Mix in meat, cook until browned
  • While meat is browning; add beer, coffee, or cola (if used), cook off excess liquid.
  • Add chili powder, worcestershire sauce, and Italian seasoning to meat and vegetable mixture.
  • Stir in tomatoes and pasta sauce.
  • Add bbq sauce and salsa
  • Mix in additional chili powder, worcestershire sauce, and Italian seasoning
  • Cover and simmer on low for 3 -4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment