Friday 11 March 2016

Grammar Police

The original basis for this post was a Facebook posting entitled "Top Ten Grammar Peeves".  A reminder that "there", "they're", and "their" are completely different words, as are "to", "too", and "two".  But, it ended up going in a more musical direction...Enjoy!

In college, one of my required courses was called "Foundations of Academic Writing".  Essentially, at least for me, this class was a long and boring review of grammar.  However, for some of my classmates, who were slightly younger than I, it seemed like the first time they had been introduced to the material.

When I was in elementary school, we were taught grammar.  Not only did we have to learn it in school, but we got a refresher on Saturday morning.  We sang along to "Conjunction Junction", "A Noun Is a Person, Place, Or Thing", "Verb: That's What's Happening", and my personal favourite, "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here".


It has been said, you haven't truly “made it” until you're the subject of a Weird Al parody.  Well, congratulations Grammar, it looks like you have finally made it.





No comments:

Post a Comment